30 Horse Quotes Every Equestrian Can Relate To – DodoWell
Riders and horse lovers know there is nothing more special than a bond with a loyal horse. And if you were looking for the perfect quote to express that love, you will undoubtedly find one on this list that sums up that relationship perfectly.
We’ve found some of the best, most heartfelt (and sometimes funny!) quotes that describe the love between a horse and a groomer, and the inspiration a horse’s independence can be for anyone. .
Read these horse quotes and try not to fall more in love with your gallant steed or mare.
Quotes about horses from famous authors and people
These authors, speakers, poets and famous people perfectly put into words the love of the horse.
- “Horses beautify a landscape.” —Alice Walker
- “Horse sense is the thing a horse has that keeps it from betting on people.” — WC fields
- “Most horses don’t back down voluntarily, because what they can’t see doesn’t exist.” —Terry Pratchett, “Soul Music”
- “From horses we can learn not only about the horse itself but also about animals in general, in fact about ourselves and about life as a whole.” -George Gaylord Simpson
- “’I don’t like people,’ Velvet said. ‘…I only like horses.’ – Enid Bagnold, “National Velvet”
- “A horse loves freedom, and the most tired old draft horse will roll on the ground or break into a heavy gallop when let loose in the open.” — Gerald Rafferty
- “No hour of life is lost if it is spent in the saddle.” – Winston Churchill
- “Horses change lives. They give young people confidence and self-esteem. They bring peace and tranquility to troubled souls, they give us hope. — Toni Robinson
- “I can make a general in five minutes, but a good horse is hard to replace.” – Abraham Lincoln
- “There is no secret as intimate as that between a rider and his horse.” —Robert Smith Surtees
- “We can learn a lot from a friend who happens to be a horse.” — Aleksandra Layland, “Tie Not the Heart: A Short Story from the Windflower Saga”
- “No philosopher understands us better than dogs and horses.” —Herman Melville
- “Horses have never been wrong. They always did what they did for a reason, and it was up to you to find out. – Jeannette Walls, “Horses Half Mown”
- “There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man.” – Winston Churchill
- “A man on horseback is spiritually, as well as physically, greater than a man on foot.” —John Steinbeck
- “I can make a general in five minutes but a good horse is hard to replace.” – Abraham Lincoln
Horse quotes from anonymous sources
Although these quotes are from anonymous sources, they are still incredibly powerful and inspirational.
- “A great horse will change your life. Real specials define it…”
- “A good rider can hear his horse talking to him. A great rider can hear his horse whisper.
- “I live in a house, but my house is in the barn.”
- “Ask me to show you poetry in motion and I’ll show you a horse.”
- “He knows when you are happy. He knows when you are comfortable. He knows when you are confident. And he always knows when you have treats.
- “To ride a horse is to fly without wings.”
- “Rolling has never been so easy. You just get better.
- “The dog may be man’s best friend…but the horse wrote history.”
- “A stubborn horse walks behind you, an impatient horse walks ahead of you, but a noble companion walks beside you.”
- “The history of mankind is carried on the back of a horse.”
- “He who believes he has mastered the art of riding has not yet begun to understand the horse.”
- “The air of heaven is that which blows between the ears of a horse.”
- “Step away from a horse long enough and you’ll start tapping your fingers in trotting rhythm.”
- “No paradise can be paradise, if my horse is not there to welcome me.”
All of these people have exactly the right idea of the beauty of horses, as well as the impact of the relationship between horses and their riders.
Want more horse-related inspiration? Check out these surprising horse facts and fun horse-themed jokes.