21 First Mother’s Day Quotes to Celebrate This Very Special Day
Sometimes it’s really hard to put your thoughts and feelings into words, and it never hurts to borrow a quote from someone else in those situations. Whether you’re celebrating the new mom in your life or are a first-time mom yourself, there are plenty of First Mother’s Day quotes that can help you say whatever’s on your mind. Use a heartwarming quote for a note inside Mom’s Mother’s Day card, or post a fun quote on social media if you’re a new mom yourself. Whatever you’re struggling to find the words to, these early Mother’s Day quotes are perfect for filling in the blanks.
Sweet and Sentimental First Quotes for Mother’s Day
The first Mother’s Day a mom experiences with a baby in her arms is unlike anything she’s ever experienced. Suddenly, the day has new meaning because she’s never known this kind of love, or sacrifice, before now. It’s a transformation that’s hard to explain, but these early Mother’s Day quotes sum it up pretty well.
- “The biggest surprise, which is also the best, is that I had no idea I would love motherhood so much.” — Deborah Norville
- “The moment a child is born, the mother is also born. She never existed before. The woman existed, but the mother, never. A mother is something absolutely new. — Bhagwan Shree Rajneesh
- “There are places in the heart that you don’t even know exist until you love a child.” —Anne Lamott
- “You never know how much your parents loved you until you had a child to love.” —Jennifer Hudson
- “Mothers and their children are in a class of their own. There is no such strong bond in the whole world. No love so instant and indulgent. —Gail Tsukiyama
- “Being a mother is about discovering strengths you never knew existed and facing fears you never knew existed.” —Linda Wooten
- “Having children – the responsibility of raising good, kind, ethical and responsible human beings is the greatest task one can undertake.” -Maria Shriver
- “There are difficult days in motherhood. But watching your sleeping baby reminds you why it’s all worth it. – Unknown
First Mother’s Day Quotes For Pregnant Moms
It doesn’t matter if her baby is sleeping in her arms or kicking her ribs and bladder from the inside, she’s a mom worth celebrating on Mother’s Day. Between the nausea, exhaustion, swelling, and general discomfort of pregnancy, if you’re a mom-to-be, you’ve more than deserved some Mother’s Day love. So whether you’re trying to express gratitude on your first Mother’s Day or looking for inspirational words to help you celebrate the mom-to-be in your life, here are some quotes to consider.
- “A mother’s joy begins when a new life stirs within; when a small heartbeat is heard for the first time, and a playful kick reminds her that she is never alone. – Unknown
- “You never understand life until it grows inside of you.” —Sandra C. Kassis
- “Making the decision to have a child – it’s capital. It’s deciding forever that your heart wanders outside your body. — Elizabeth Pierre
- “No one else will ever know the strength of my love for you. After all, only you know what my heart is like on the inside. – Unknown
- “Just when you think you know love, something small happens that reminds you how big it is.” – Unknown
- “My body gave me the greatest gift of my life.” —Hilary Duff
Funny First Mothers Day Quotes
Not all new moms are sentimental, and that’s okay. Just as there’s so much to be thankful for as a new mom, there’s just as much to laugh about. In fact, some of the funniest things about new motherhood are the very things that make mom worth celebrating on Mother’s Day (and every day, really), like cleaning blower diapers, keeping everyone alive despite sleep deprivation, wearing spit-covered clothes all day, and basically having to relearn how to do everything with a baby in your arms. Here are some fun early Mother’s Day quotes that are sure to make mom laugh.
- “A mother continues to work long after the baby is born.” —Lisa Jo Baker
- “A sleeping baby is the new happy hour.” – Unknown
- “Being a mom made me so tired. And so happy. – Tina Fey
- “Babies are the worst roommates. They are unemployed. They don’t pay rent. They work crazy hours. Their hygiene is terrible. If you had a roommate who did any of the things babies do, you’d ask them to move out. —Jim Gaffigan
- “The best thing about being a new mom is the lowest tolerance of not drinking for nine months.” – Anonymous
- “Sleep is like the unicorn – they say it exists, but I doubt I’ll see any.” – Unknown
- “Becoming a mother makes you realize that you can do almost anything with one hand.” – Unknown
If none of these early Mother’s Day quotes work for you, use them as inspiration to help you write your own original message. Just write from the heart.